Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Dr Who Spice Rack

I have this spice rack my grandparents gifted me with one year for Christmas. It is a fine spice rack and Dave and I use it often. Right now we use only 6 or 7 of the spices from the rack and have various other jars and bag around for our other spices. Since the spice rack has 24 jars this makes me thing I need to better utilize my spice rack. I had an idea that if I painted the lids with chalkboard paint I would be able to write on the lids exactly what I wanted and change the things in them as I wanted.



I started by removing all the contents into labeled baggies and deciding which spice I wanted to keep. Then I cleaned the jars which had sat next to our stove for years without cleaning and they had quite the layer of grime.


After the jars and lids were sparkly clean I took the lids and wrapped masking tape around each one so I could just paint the top bit with chalkboard paint.





Next I wanted to give the glass jars a frosted coating for a more sophisticated looking background to paint my Dr.Who Gallifreyan writing on.




 I went to online to find a Gallifreyan Translator since I'm not that much of a geek and typed in the word 'spice'. I tried many different things but this one was just complex enough to be cool but still doable and could fit into the space available. I used a circle template to create the symbol on a scrap of paper I could then slip inside each spice jar. I used a bit of stuffing to keep the paper in place while I carefully traced the design on each jar individually with my glass paint.





It took a few hours for the paint to dry enough to flip the jars over and paint the other side but the slowing bit was my hand and wrist tiring and I ended up doing it slowly over the course of 3 days.


 
I had already consolidated my spices and decided the 24 spices that would be in my jars. I used chalk to draw on the labels but they can be easily changed.


Now all that's left is putting all the spices back in their jars. I like the subtlety of my custom Dr.Who spice rack it doesn't have to be all blue and shaped like a Tardis despite what the internet will have you believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment