Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Thrift Store Cake Stand

As many of you probably know I'm a baker by trade but I currently own no cake stands with which to display my cakes. This week I've decided to remedy this blatant error in my serving dish selection. Store bought cake stands can be expensive or cheap and flimsy, but Pintrest is filled with these 'take thrift store dishes and make stands' ideas and they seem really simple. I decided to create two pieces, one is going to be a simple cake stand of a flat dish on a low base which I intend to be all gold at the end of this, and the other will be a 3 tiered cupcake/cake stand with a flat bottom flat on the table with two glasses with plates on top of each.
My first step was going to the thrift store, located a convenient 7 minute walk from my house. I selected 4 plates of varying sizes including a large microwave plate for the bottom tier, and 3 glasses which I found these two spindly ones that I like the shape of the cup but they may be too delicate.
I also stopped buy the store to pick up some heavy duty glue and spray paint. I already had black and gold spray paint that wouldn't be perfect for this but they would work well enough. I picked up a can of spray paint that I hope will adhere to the smooth glass surfaces and give them a little texture for my other paints to grip.








 Step 2 was cleaning the dishes since they were from a thrift store and probably dusty and dirty. The simple cake stand is going to be all gold so I glue the pieces together before spray painting.



The other cake stand was going to be gold and black so I left the pieces separate for painting. I started by painting everything with my frosted glass coating that at first I wasn't sure was working but did give the pieces a little bit of texture.

Then I painted the simple cake stand gold and painting all the plates for the other stand gold and the cups black. I left no less then 30 minutes between coats and I only needed one coat on each side with some touch ups on rims and such.

Step 3 is gluing the tall cake stand together. I glued the glasses in the center of the bottom of the two smaller plates using the good old fashioned method of eye-balling it.




Once they were set I turned them over and set the taller of the two in the center of the big microwave plate marking the rim with pencil I turned it back over and carefully applied my super strong epoxy to the rim of the glass. I turned it up side down on the plate matching it up with my markings. Then I repeated the process for the next plate.















 I baked some cupcakes to show off my awesome new cake stands!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment