Monday, January 29, 2018

Beat Up Car Cake



My little brother has managed to run two cars into the ground before his 18th birthday but for his 17th birthday I mad him this cake representing the beat up second car he got from his friend. It looks a lot nicer now but it drives about as well as my cake LOL


I started with 2 layers of delicious chocolate cake these are 8in rounds but it would have been better if they were bigger. I cut them in half and decided I didn't need the 4th half when I was 'gluing' the cakes to the board. I carved out the front and back windshields.


I put a very heavy crumb coat over the whole thing, this may even be a second coat as I usually double coat my chocolate cakes because of the crumbs.
 
Then came the colored details. I put down the black for windshields first, attached my doughnut wheels next, then went in with the red coating most of the car but leaving the hood and back bumper to be done in gray. This doesn't look like the nicest car but I did it because that's what his car looked like at the time.
Then it was just little car details. I added a thick red icing spoiler to the back, some head lights for the front and back, and a little Ford logo on the front. I used a knife to make etchings in the solid buttercream to give the windows and hood more dimension.



He loved his cake and it lasted only slightly less long then the car did ^.~

No comments:

Post a Comment