Thursday, January 11, 2018

Wolverine Cake




Here's another cake from last year. I was commissioned to do a wolverine cake for a friend's son. After talking with the mom about the cake she wanted I came up with this sketch. He likes wolverine but being a classy kid he likes the old wolverine style so I looked up his costume to refresh my memory and came up with this bust style cake. I like this style and it's not something I see a lot of other bakers doing but with cartoon characters it's actually pretty simple.




 I started with he mask  which was made from fondant. I made a paper stencil by tracing his mask shape off a very enlarged photo on my computer. Then cut that out of some black fondant, I like to buy my fondant already colored for black as it is usually darker then I could get it on my own and a lot less work. I put this mask to dry on a cocoa powder can which I determined would be about the same size as my 4in cake I would eventually put it on. I made this a day or two in advance so it would have time to fully dry.











I baked my cakes the day before and let them cool in the freezer overnight. The day of the party I iced my cakes in yellow buttercream. I gave the top cake a little rounded dome since heads tend to be round. I put some of my other icing details on my cakes before stacking them.


Then I added my fondant details which was only the mask and belt.


Finished it up with a few more black icing details to really tie the whole thing together.


I really liked how close to my original drawing this one came out and I know the kid loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment