Saturday, January 24, 2015

Angel Wing T-shirt

I said the T-shirts weren't done yet, I have different little ideas for each one that will make them unique and add some much needed color. I started with the angel winged t-shirt which I thought it would be cool to add lace panels into the sides. I pulled out my box of fabric and went looking through the scrap bag, I wasn't going to need very much. I found this red lace fabric that had a finished ruffle edge along on side. I thought it would be perfect for putting in 4in or so panel along each side and then I could use the ruffled edge to go around each sleeve cuff. I cut equal strips of the lace and measured them against the shirt laying on the ground. I also cut out an equal section of the shirt. If this shirt had big too big or too small I could have used this panel insertion to adjust it's size but the shirt fit just fine so I made sure the sections were equal minus like half an inch for seem allowance. I pinned the lace inserts to the t-shirt being careful to not stretch the jersey fabric.
I also pinned the cuffs in after measuring them against the shirt and sewing the ends together. I then pulled out my serger and sewed along the edges. Now I don't know if you can tell in my blurry photo here but the lace panels are actually on the wrong side of the fabric and I ended up sewing them with the seems on the outside and had to rip all my serger stitches...do not recommend. Now for anyone wondering I did not run pins through my serger I carefully removed them as I went along. I do run pins through my regular sewing machine with out a care in the world. I had originally intended to add something to the front to jazz it up but Dave says it looks good as is and that less is more, so I'm calling this one done. Here are the results.


No comments:

Post a Comment